women's health worldwide
Birth Preparation Course
Birth Preparation Intensive Course – prepare for the everyday miracle of giving birth.
This course is ideally for you and your husband/partner or the person who will be your birthing partner. You can of course also come on your own. It is also available on a 1-1 or women-only basis.
Combining indigenous knowledge about reproduction and birth of the Yaka Pygmies (Congo), Yakumamai Indians (Peru) and Mayan Midwives (Belize) and the yogic wisdom of the ancient sages with scientific research the course helps to prepare you to go 'to the place where birth happens more easily'; where the mind can quieten so that the body can take over. It aims to equip you with skills to help maximise space in the pelvis and how to make full use of the natural physiology of childbirth to help you give birth as nature intended. We identify common potential physical, mental and emotional obstacles to a straightforward labour and birth and practise together how to address these.
Your birthing partners will learn 'positive intervention methods' to enable them to help reduce pain, aid the descent of the baby, optimise the natural progression of labour and to safeguard your birthing environment. He or she will learn how to help create the atmosphere most conducive for you to give birth.
Please wear comfortable clothing that you can move in. I look forward to welcoming you and your birthing partners to this workshop.
Click here for timetable, venues & cost.
Content: physical, mental, emotional preparation for labour & birth
- Know your birthing body & be in charge:
The signs, stages, hormones of labour & birth
- The role of the birth partner safeguarding your birthing environment – do's and don'ts
- When to call the midwife (home birth) or transfer (birth center / hospital birth)
- Moves & positions for labour & birth that maximise space in the pelvis
- Posture control & spinal alignment
- Optimal fetal positioning
- Comfort measures for pregnancy, labour & birth
- 'Positive Intervention methods' for labour & birth (coping with long or rapid labour, turning OP, creating space in a narrow pelvis)
- Oxytocin releasing & decongesting massage techniques
- Pelvic mapping (helps you to get to know your bony pelvis & determine which birthing position is most conducive for your unique pelvic shape)
- The natural anatomy of birth (maximising space in the bony pelvis to aid the descent of your baby)
- The natural physiology of labour & birth (optimising hormonal output helps you to use the physiological stages to aid the natural progression of labour)
- Guidance on writing your birth plan
- Your 'baby moon' – the first month as a newborn family
- Know the birthing self & be in touch:
Birthing breathing (breathing techniques to activate cerebellum)
- Mental/emotional obstacles (worry, stress, anxiety, self-sabotage samskaras, influenced by others) to a straightforward birth and how to release these
- Dealing with pain – pain release techniques
- Dealing with fear - fear & stress release techniques
- Deep relaxation - breathing, affirmations & visualization techniques for labour & birth